(VANCOUVER) — Glee actor Cory Monteith died of a “mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol.” This, according to the BC Coroners Service in British Columbia, Canada, which announced the cause of death Tuesday afternoon, following an autopsy and toxicological analysis.
Monteith, who was 31, was found dead in his Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room last Saturday. He had struggled with substance abuse in the past.
The BC Coroners Service says its investigation into Monteith’s death is continuing, and that there is no evidence to suggest that the death was anything other than “the most sad and tragic accident.”
Monteith played Finn Hudson on the Fox series Glee.
An updated statement from Monteith’s Glee co-star and girlfriend Lea Michele reads, “Lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she’s received from family, friends, and fans. Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. We continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of Lea and Cory’s family.”
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Sandra Gonzalez, CNN
Madison Park, Keith Allen and Andreas Preuss, CNN
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com