(NEW YORK) — Anas al-Libi, the alleged al Qaeda member snatched off the streets of Tripoli by an American special operations team, has arrived in the U.S. to face terror-related charges, according to two U.S. officials.
Al-Libi, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, had been on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist list for more than a decade for his alleged involvement in the dual bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 which claimed more than 200 lives, 12 of them American.
Al-Libi was grabbed Oct. 5 in an early morning operation by the Army’s famed Delta Force, according to a military source, as he was returning home from morning prayers in Tripoli, Libya. He was then whisked to a Navy ship in the Mediterranean, where security experts said he was likely questioned by the U.S. government’s High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group (HIG) for days before likely being turned over to the FBI for transport stateside.
“We know that Mr. [Anas] al-Libi planned and helped execute plots that killed hundreds of people, a whole lot of Americans, and we have strong evidence of that and he will be brought to justice,” President Obama said last week, dodging a reporter’s question about whether the snatch operation complied with international law.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Joe Sterling and Darran Simon, CNN
Miranda Green, CNN
Samantha Beech, CNN
Stephanie Elam, CNN