“Noah” Debuts at Number One at the Box Office
(LOS ANGELES) — Noah took the number one spot at the box office in its opening weekend, earning $44 million.
Inspired by the biblical story of Noah’s Ark, the drama was written and directed by Darren Aronofsky– the director behind Black Swan and The Wrestler.
Noah stars Russell Crowe, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, and Anthony Hopkins.
Divergent fell to second place this weekend bringing in $26.5 million, followed by Muppets Most Wanted with $11.4 million.
Here are the top ten film estimates of the weekend according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Noah: $44.0 million
2. Divergent: $26.5 million
3. Muppets Most Wanted: $11.4 million
4. Mr. Peabody & Sherman: $9.5 million
5. God’s Not Dead: $9.1 million
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel: $8.8 million
7. Sabotage: $5.3 million
8. Need for Speed: $4.33 million
9. 300: Rise of An Empire: $4.30 million
10. Non-Stop: $4.1 million
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio