“Guardians of the Galaxy” Soars to Top of Box Office
(NEW YORK) — Marvel’s latest film, Guardians of the Galaxy, dominated the box office this weekend, topping all comers and bringing in nearly $100 million in gross revenue.
The latest film from the Marvel Universe stars Parks and Recreation‘s Chris Pratt as a space adventurer named Peter Quill. Pratt, along with Zoe Saldana’s Gamora, Bradley Cooper’s Rocket Raccoon, Vin Diesel’s Groot and Dave Bautista’s Drax defend the universe in the humorous action film. While Guardians may not have the character recognition of The Hulk, Captain America or Iron Man, the film generated plenty of buzz in the weeks leading up to this past weekend’s release.
Scarlett Johansson’s Lucy slipped to second this weekend, while the James Brown biopic Get On Up finished in third, topping last week’s second place finisher Hercules.
Here are the top ten films of the weekend according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy: $94 million
2. Lucy: $18.283 million
3. Get On Up: $14.031 million
4. Hercules (2014): $10.7 million
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: $8.7 million
6. Planes: Fire & Rescue: $6.424 million
7. The Purge: Anarchy: $5.551 million
8. Sex Tape: $3.55 million
9. And So It Goes: $3.344 million
10. A Most Wanted Man: $3.324 million
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio