Your weather
clear sky
humidity: 84%
wind: 7mph N
H 2 • L -1

Fort Hall toddler nearly killed by dog pack is bitten again


Share This

FORT HALL — The Fort Hall toddler who was nearly killed by a pack of dogs last month was bitten by another dog on Saturday afternoon, according to Fort Hall police.

While attending a yard sale with his family on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, Gunner Quagigant, age 2, reached down to pet a Pug when the bite occurred.

Gunner was immediately taken by his family to a medical facility and received several stitches to close the wound caused by the Pug, according to the child’s family.

It’s believed Gunner was bitten on his arm but this could not be confirmed Saturday.

Randy’L Teton, the public affairs manager for the Shoshone-Bannock Tribes, said it is interesting that the child would attempt to even pet a dog after his recent near-death encounter with a dog pack.

“The owner warned him not to pet the dog, but he petted it anyways,” Teton said. “That shows that he’s not scared though.”

Teton said the Pug and its owner will not face any charges because Gunner was warned not to pet the canine. She said Fort Hall police are not going to further investigate the incident.

Gunner was nearly killed when a pack of 11 dogs attacked him outside his family’s home at Fort Hall on March 26. He was bitten 35 times, including a bite to his neck that nearly struck a major artery and another bite that ripped off half his ear. Gunner was first transported to Portneuf Medical Center in Pocatello before being airlifted to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. But Gunner made a miraculous recovery and was released from the hospital earlier this month.

Eight of the 11 dogs that attacked Gunner have been captured by authorities and euthanized. Tests revealed that none of the eight dogs had rabies.

Gunner’s family said the dog pack had been killing and eating other dogs in their neighborhood in the days leading up to the attack on the boy.

Fort Hall authorities said the owner of four of the dogs involved in the attack on Gunner has been charged with maintaining a public nuisance and if convicted faces a maximum of 30 days in jail and a $200 fine.

This article was originally published by the Idaho State Journal. It is used here with permission.