Officials: Wood burning stove caused shop fire resulting in $125K in damage

Local

Share This Story
The following is a news release and photo from the city of Idaho Falls

IDAHO FALLS — On Oct. 6, at approximately 12:20 p.m., the Idaho Falls Fire Department was dispatched to 10655 N. 26 W. for a reported structure fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered smoke coming from a small, single-story detached shop.

Crews were able to knock down the fire quickly, keeping it from spreading to a nearby home, bales of hay and other equipment on the property.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.

The property-owner stated a pickup truck, 4-wheeler, riding lawnmower and various other equipment was stored in the shed. The estimated damage is approximately $125,000.

The cause of the fire was reported to be from a wood burning stove inside the shop. The fire is under investigation.

“Unfortunately, it is that time of year when we start to see more chimney fires as the temperatures begin to drop,” states IFFD Division Chief Jeff Parsons.

IFFD reminds community members that chimneys should be inspected regularly to make sure they remain clean of creosote and are structurally intact.

Respond to this story