Otter considering three possible replacements for Rep. Janet Trujillo


Share This
Mark Fuller, Paul Fuller, and Barbara Ehardt | Courtesy photos

IDAHO FALLS — Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter has until Dec. 30, to pick a replacement for Idaho State Rep. Janet Trujillo.

A committee of men and women from the precincts that make up Legislative District 33A presented three names to the governor Friday. The candidates for Trujillo’s replacement are Bonneville County GOP Central Committee Chairman Mark Fuller, local attorney Paul Fuller, and outgoing Idaho Falls City Councilwoman Barbara Ehardt.

Janet Trujillo

Trujillo is leaving office during her third term after Otter announced on Dec. 6 that he would appoint her to the Idaho State Tax Commission.

Mark and his son Paul Fuller are both partners at the Fuller & Beck Law Office in Idaho Falls. Ehardt is a city councilwoman for Idaho Falls who recently challenged Idaho Falls Mayor Rebecca Casper in a November mayoral race. She lost to Casper during the December runoff election.

Otter’s press secretary, Jon Hanian, told that although the governor has until Saturday, Dec. 30, to make a decision, Otter will most likely decide by the end of the workday Dec. 29.

The person Otter chooses will serve out the remaining year of Trujillo’s term in the Legislature and can then choose whether to run for the seat in an election.

Trujillo is expected to replace Tax Commissioner Rich Jackson after he left the position in September, according to a governor’s office news release.

The Legislature still needs to approve Trujillo to be on the commission.

“Janet has proven herself to be an exceptionally talented and capable tax professional, both in her career and in her work as a legislator,” Otter said in a speech delivered to the Associated Taxpayers of Idaho, according to a news release. “More than that, she has a real passion for properly implementing tax policy and working with taxpayers to ensure they are treated fairly and with respect. That skillset will make her a valuable addition to the Tax Commission.”