WEATHER & ROADS: Difficult road conditions across eastern Idaho this morning
IDAHO FALLS — A winter weather advisory remains in effect for the vast majority of eastern Idaho until 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 16.
Snowfall, which began Friday night, is expected periodically throughout Saturday. Between 2 to 3 inches is predicted in the region, with more snow expected at higher elevations and in mountain passes.
Many eastern Idaho highways are listed as in difficult condition due to poor visibility and snow or ice on the roadway. Officials advise drivers to reduce driving speeds and allow extra time to reach your destination. A full list of suspect roads is located at the end of this report.
The winter weather advisory is in effect in the following counties: Clark, Teton, Fremont, Madison, Bonneville, Jefferson, Bingham, Bannock, Onieda, Caribou Franklin and Butte.
Similar winter weather conditions are expected in southern Montana and western Wyoming.
Air quality advisory
An air quality advisory remains in effect in Franklin County due to elevated pollutant levels in the air. A stable atmosphere with little wind is preventing pollutants from drifting outside the area. As a result, residential wood burning restrictions have been put in place inside the county until at least noon Sunday.
Individuals with inherent sensitivity to increased particulate levels are encouraged to avoid prolonged physical exertion outside. At these levels there is an increasing likelihood of respiratory symptoms and increased aggravation of asthma and/or lung ailments, according to NWS officials.
For more information please access the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality website at http://airquality.deq.idaho.gov.
Idaho Falls, Rigby and Rexburg
Snow is likely throughout the day with areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Up to 2 inches of snow is possible with highs of 29 to 36 degrees and west winds of 10 to 15 mph.
There will be increasing clouds during the night with patchy freezing fog, lows of 9 to 16 degrees and continued winds of 10 to 15 mph.
Pocatello, Chubbuck and Blackfoot
Snow is likely in the morning, and there is a chance of snow in the afternoon. Blowing snow is expected throughout the day with winds of 10 to 20 mph and snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs of 27 to 34 degrees are expected. It’s going to be cloudy at night with areas of freezing fog. Lows of 29 to 19 degrees are predicted with continued winds of 10 to 20 mph.
Dubois, St. Anthony, Ashton, Island Park, Driggs, and Victor
Snow is expected in the morning, but may taper off by the afternoon. Up to 2 inches of snow is possible with highs of 26 to 33 degrees. At night it will be cloudy with freezing fog and lows of 5 to 12 degrees.
Arco, Challis, and Mackay
Snow is likely in the morning, but the sun will come out during the afternoon. Up to 2 inches of snow could fall with highs of 25 to 35 degrees. It’ll be partly cloudy at night with areas of freezing fog after midnight. Lows of 4 to 13 degrees are expected.
Henry, Soda Springs, Downey, and Lava Hot Springs
There will be snow all day, with up to two inches possible and highs of 25 to 33 degrees. It’ll be cloudy at night with continued snow, freezing fog and lows of 8 to 16 degrees.
The following roads are listed as in fair or difficult conditions due to ice or snow on the roadway:
- Interstate 15 between Pocatello to the Montana border
- Interstate 86 between Burley and Pocatello
- Interstate 84 between Burley and the Utah border
- Idaho Highway 22 between Howe and Dubois
- Idaho Highway 39 between American Falls and Blackfoot
- Idaho Highway 37 between Neely and Roy
- Idaho Highway 34 between Soda Springs and the Wyoming border
- Idaho Highway 31 between Swan Valley and Victor
- Idaho Highway 33 between Sugar City and the Wyoming border
- Idaho Highway 32 between Ashton and Tetonia
- Idaho Highway 47 between Ashton and Warm River
- Idaho Highway 87 between Henry’s Lake and the Montana border
- U.S. Highway 30 between McCammon and Montpelier
- U.S. Highway 20 between Idaho Falls and the Montana border
- U.S. Highway 20 between Atomic City and Idaho Falls
- U.S. Highway 26 between Atomic City and Blackfoot
- U.S. Highway 26 between Idaho Falls and the Wyoming border
- U.S. Highway 91 between Idaho Falls and Pocatello
- U.S. Highway 93 between Arco and Challis