Arctic Circle closed briefly after smoke fills back of the building

Idaho Falls

Share This

IDAHO FALLS — Article Circle, a fast food joint that serves burgers and shakes, closed briefly and employees were evacuated after smoke filled the back of the building.

Idaho Falls Fire Department spokeswoman Kerry Hammon said employees noticed smoke coming from the building’s indoor vents after the heat was turned on around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

She said a battalion chief, two fire engines, an ambulance and a public information officer responded to the scene on Utah Avenue.

The Arctic Circle staff, which consists of some 12 people, evacuated the building as a precautionary measure.

Hammon says the smoke was coming from the HVAC unit. The roof was inspected by firefighters and there was no active fire found.

Hammon says as temperatures drop people should get HVAC units, filters and chimneys cleaned and inspected before turning on their heat for the first time.

Employees ofthe restaurant say the filters in the building are routinely replaced and managers are making arrangements to make sure the heating system is up to date.

Fire engines left the area around noon and the restaurant reopened shortly afterwards.

SUBMIT A CORRECTION

Respond to this story