TODAY'S WEATHER
Sponsored by Mountain View Hospital
40°
few clouds
humidity: 52%
wind: 13mph NE
H 42 • L 40

Man dies from burns sustained from explosion earlier this month

Local

Share This
Firefighters comb through Twin Pines Manor apartments following an explosion and fire on March 7. | Courtesy Madison Fire Department

REXBURG — A Rexburg man died Wednesday morning after spending weeks in a burn unit following an explosion and fire at an apartment complex.

Indiana Hanes died at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center early Wednesday morning where he had been since March 7.

The Madison Fire Department was called to the Twin Pines Manor apartments around 11:30 p.m. on North 1st West and found an eight-unit building in flames. Hanes was reportedly outside on the sidewalk with burns covering 60% to 80% of his body.

RELATED | Person severely burned after explosion at Rexburg apartment building

In earlier reports, investigators said Hanes told them fumes from a fuel can inside the apartment ignited when a portable heater was turned on. The fumes ignited causing an explosion to blow open a door to a neighboring apartment and shattering the windows of two other units.

Everyone else in the apartment building made it out safely. The fire caused an estimated $600,000 in damages to the building, with all eight units either having fire or smoke damage.

Officials have not released any information on the explosion since March 8 and tell EastIdahoNews.com the incident remains under investigation.

SUBMIT A CORRECTION