TODAY'S WEATHER
Sponsored by Idaho Falls Community Hospital
40°
overcast clouds
humidity: 91%
wind: 1mph S
H 39 • L 38
Submit a name to Secret Santa

UPDATE: House fire rekindles; home a complete loss

Local

Share This

UPDATE:

The following is a news release from the Central Fire District.

Central Fire District was called back out to 452 North 3950 East for a house fire that had rekindled. Rigby, Ririe, Lewisville and Menan stations all responded. Upon our arrival, we found heavy fire in the attic and on the main floor. The fire had burned hot enough to blow out a big picture window, therefore feeding more air/oxygen to the fire.

Fire crews had to work through heavy lath and plaster walls. There were several inches of blown-in insulation in the ceiling that hampered efforts of getting through to the seat of the fire.

The original structure of this house was built around 1914. The main structure of the house was heavy square timbers with plaster chinking. The next layer was thin wooden shakes covered with tarpaper and then at least ½ inch of cement/plaster. This makes it extremely difficult when fire gets between those layers and burns from the inside out. Crews worked for several hours to extinguish this fire. Firefighters never like to be called out to a rekindle; however, when we have an old well-built house with this type of structure and with periodic remodeling, it does unfortunately happen.

The fire damage was considered a complete loss. Damage estimate with contents is $175,000 to $225,000.

ORIGINAL STORY (published 8:15 a.m. Friday):

452fire

RIGBY — A house sustained approximately $60,000 in damage after an early morning house fire, officials say.

Central Fire District’s Rigby, Menan and Lewisville stations were called to the fire on the 400 block of 3950 East around 12:30 a.m. Friday. They discovered it started in the basement and crawl space of the home, according to a Central Fire District news release. It burned floor joists and the underside of the main floor.

452fire2
The homeowner, who attempted to find and extinguish the fire, experienced some breathing problems due to smoke inhalation. EMTs treated the homeowner on the scene.

Officials believe the fire was caused by electrical problems.

SUBMIT A CORRECTION