TODAY'S WEATHER
Sponsored by Idaho Falls Community Hospital
37°
clear sky
humidity: 83%
wind: 2mph WSW
H 38 • L 37
Submit a name to Secret Santa

Couple loses pet dog, all their belongings after fire destroys apartment

Local

Share This

AMMON — A woman and her husband have lost everything they own after a fire destroyed their apartment and killed their dog Obie.

The fire broke out around 5:30 p.m. Saturday at Chelsie Dawn Dennis’ apartment on Curlew Drive. Dennis told EastIdahoNews.com she was on her way home from work when she discovered her home had burst into flames.

“I opened the door and it was engulfed in smoke and my dog passed away,” Dennis told EastIdahoNews.com. “It engulfed in flames in my bedroom.”

Chelsie and Obie
Chelsie Dawn Dennis and her dog Obie. | Courtesy Chelsie Dawn Dennis

Bonneville County Fire District 1 Fire Marshall Keith Banda said the fire ignited from a pile of clothes close to a heater. Dennis said the clothes were more than five feet away, but the heat was still too much and the clothing burned up.

RELATED | Fire destroys apartment in Ammon

“I have nowhere to live. I’m living in a hotel right now,” Dennis said.

In response to the fire, Dennis established a Facebook fundraiser to help recoup the things she lost – mainly blankets, food and clothes.

The fire also damaged several other units at the apartment complex.

Fire Apartments
Eric Grossarth, EastIdahoNews.com

Our attorneys tell us we need to put this disclaimer in stories involving fundraisers: EastIdahoNews.com does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries.

SUBMIT A CORRECTION