(NEW YORK) — The Devil Inside possessed the top spot at the box office over the weekend. The horror film earned an estimated $34.5 million in its first three days of release. It was the only movie to open nationwide on Friday.
Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, which was the number-one movie the previous two weekends, slipped to second place, with $20.5 million. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows rounded out the top three, with $14.1 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Devil Inside, $34.5 million.
2. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, $20.5 million.
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $14.1 million.
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, $11.3 million.
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $9.5 million.
6. War Horse, $8.6 million.
7. We Bought a Zoo, $8.5 million.
8. The Adventures of Tintin, $6.6 million.
9. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, $5.8 million.
10. New Year’s Eve, $3.3 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Scott Stuntz, Teton Valley News
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Mike Price EastIdahoNews.com
Brett Crandall, BYU-Idaho Media Relations