EastIdahoNews.com Code of Ethics
TELLING THE TRUTH
NATURE OF OUR JOURNALISM
BALANCE AND FAIRNESS
WITH HOLDING NAMES
GIFTS, FREE TRAVEL AND OTHER PERKS
POLITICAL ACTIVITIES BY STAFF
HANDLING AND PROTECTION OF FREELANCERS AND “FIXERS”
RACE AND GENDER
CONFLICTS OF INTERESTS
BOMBS AND OTHER THREATS
CHILDREN: COVERAGE, IMAGES AND INTERVIEWS
SOURCES: RELIABILITY AND ATTRIBUTION
- EastIdahoNews.com comment boards are a place for open, honest, and civil communication between readers regarding the news of the day and issues facing our communities.
- We encourage commenters to stay on topic, use positive and constructive language, and be empathetic to the feelings of other commenters. THINK BEFORE YOU POST.
- Hate speech, offensive, vulgar or obscene language.
- Personal attacks or name-calling towards any other commenter, person or groups of people. This includes EastIdahoNews.com staff and comment moderators. You may disagree and you may be critical of someone else’s viewpoint, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.
- Victim blaming, shaming or insensitive comments regarding a crime, accident or tragedy-related article.
- Posting excessively graphic photos or information about a crime, accident or tragedy-related article prior to that information being released by EastIdahoNews.com. If you have information, photos or video that you feel is vital to a story, please contact us directly.
- Repeatedly posting the same links or verbatim comments (aka spamming) on multiple stories or threads.
- Knowingly posting links or comments that spread fake news, disinformation, or half-truths about any topic.
- Commercial promotion or solicitation of any kind.
- EastIdahoNews.com makes every effort to review comments on social media and the website, although due to the large volume we receive not all comments are reviewed. If you have concerns about a specific comment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We have a system that permits individuals to “flag” comments for potential problems, and we review those “flagged” comments in a systematic and timely fashion.
- We edit comments to remove potentially libelous language or hate speech, as we define it, but we do not change spelling or grammatical errors.
- We allow pseudonyms for commenting as long as a user has registered an account with us.