(NEW YORK) — John Carter lost the box office war to The Lorax over the weekend. For the second weekend in a row, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax was the top movie, earning an estimated $39.1 million.
Disney’s John Carter, about a Civil War veteran transported to Mars, bowed in second place, grossing $30.6 million.
The thriller Silent House debuted in the fourth spot, with $7 million, and the Eddie Murphy comedy A Thousand Words premiered in sixth place, with $6.4 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, $39.1 million
2. John Carter, $30.6 million
3. Project X, $11.6 million
4. Silent House, $7.01 million
5. Act of Valor, $7 million
6. A Thousand Words, $6.4 million
7. Safe House, $5 million
8. The Vow, $4 million
9. This Means War, $3.8 million
10. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, $3.7 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Lisa Respers France, CNN
Brett Crandall, BYU-Idaho Media Relations