(NEW YORK) — The men in black took out The Avengers at the box office over the Memorial Day weekend.
Men in Black 3, starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin, earned an estimated $70 million from Friday through Monday to debut in first place.
Marvel’s The Avengers, which was the box office champ the previous three weekends, slipped to second place, collecting $46.9 million.
The thriller Chernobyl Diaries opened in sixth place, with $9.3 million.
The new Wes Anderson film Moonrise Kingdom made nearly $670,000 in four theaters over the four-day weekend. It earned $130,752 per location from Friday through Sunday, a record for a live-action film.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Monday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Men in Black 3, $70 million
2. Marvel’s The Avengers, $46.9 million
3. Battleship, $13.8 million
4. The Dictator, $11.8 million
5. Dark Shadows, $9.4 million
6. Chernobyl Diaries, $9.3 million
7. What to Expect When You’re Expecting, $8.9 million
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $8.2 million
9. The Hunger Games, $2.9 million
10. Think Like a Man, $1.8 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Brian Stelter, CNN Newswire
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com