(NEW YORK) — For the second weekend in a row, Marvel’s The Avengers crushed the box office competition.
The superhero film earned an estimated $103.2 million. It is the first movie to make $100 million or more in its second weekend of release.
On Saturday, The Avengers eclipsed the $300 million mark in overall ticket revenue after just nine days of release — a new record. The Dark Knight had accomplished the feat in 10 days.
Worldwide, The Avengers has raked in over $1 billion, less than three weeks after it opened overseas.
The Johnny Depp-Tim Burton collaboration Dark Shadows, the only film that opened in wide release over the weekend, debuted in second place, with $28.8 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Avengers, $103.2 million.
2. Dark Shadows, $28.8 million.
3. Think Like a Man, $6.3 million.
4. The Hunger Games, $4.4 million.
5. The Lucky One, $4.1 million.
6. The Pirates! Band of Misfits, $3.2 million.
7. The Five-Year Engagement, $3.1 million.
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $2.7 million.
9. Chimpanzee, $1.6 million.
10. Girl in Progress, $1.4 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio