(NEW YORK) — Marvel’s The Avengers sunk Battleship and the rest of its box office competition over the weekend.
The superhero film was number one for the third consecutive weekend, earning an estimated $55.1 million. It has now made over $457 million in the U.S. and close to $1.2 billion worldwide.
Battleship, loosely based on the board game of the same name, opened in second place, collecting $25.4 million.
The new Sacha Baron Cohen comedy The Dictator finished in the third spot, with a $17.4 million debut. The Dictator has earned $24.5 million since opening last Wednesday.
The ensemble comedy What to Expect When You’re Expecting premiered in fifth place, with $10.5 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Marvel’s The Avengers, $55.1 million
2. Battleship, $25.4 million
3. The Dictator, $17.4 million
4. Dark Shadows, $12.8 million
5. What to Expect When You’re Expecting, $10.5 million
6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $3.3 million
7. The Hunger Games, $3 million
8. Think Like a Man, $2.7 million
9. The Lucky One, $1.8 million
10. The Pirates! Band of Misfits, $1.5 million
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com
Brett Crandall, BYU-Idaho Media Relations