EAST IDAHO – A Utah Marine killed from carbon monoxide poisoning in Meridian has fire department officials across Idaho warning the public.
An estimated 200 people die in Idaho each year from carbon monoxide-related issues, and another 5,000 are hospitalized or otherwise injured.
Federal officials recommend carbon monoxide detectors be installed in bedrooms or in hallways near bedroom doors. They also caution against warming up a car in a garage with the door still down as it can be extremely dangerous for families, especially for young children and the elderly.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death, and is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.
To learn more about preventing CO poisoning, visit http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm.
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Seth Fiegerman, CNN