(SAN DIEGO, Calif.) — A 12-year-old middle school student was taken into custody Saturday after allegedly sending an email to a school administrator threatening to shoot 23 students and a teacher, the San Diego Sheriff’s Office said in a press release Sunday.
Deputies from the Poway Sheriff’s Station learned Saturday morning about the email threat that had been sent to the administrator the previous night. The message made reference to 3,000 rounds of ammunition and numerous firearms and said the shooting would take place on Monday, Feb. 11. Officials from local, state and federal agencies launched an investigation and identified a 12-year-old Twin Peaks Middle School student as a possible suspect. Upon serving a search warrant at the student’s residence Saturday at about 5:30 p.m., detectives seized several computers, along with numerous handguns and rifles.
The student was taken into custody and admitted to a local hospital for treatment and evaluation, according to the press release.
The case is being turned over to the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Billy Hallowell, Deseret News
Kareem Khadder, CNN
Grant Olsen, KSL.com