(NEW YORK) — Tom Cruise’s latest thriller, Oblivion, opened in first place over the weekend.
The film earned an estimated $38.2 million to easily finish ahead of last week’s box office champ, 42. The biopic on Jackie Robinson, who broke Major League Baseball’s color barrier, slipped to the second spot, collecting $18 million.
Oblivion was the only movie to debut in wide release on Friday.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. Oblivion, $38.2 million
2. 42, $18 million
3. The Croods, $9.5 million
4. Scary Movie 5, $6.3 million
5. G.I. Joe: Retaliation, $5.8 million
6. The Place Beyond the Pines, $4.7 million
7. Olympus Has Fallen, $4.5 million
8. Evil Dead, $4.1 million
9. Jurassic Park, $4 million
10. Oz the Great and Powerful, $3 million
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Brett Crandall, BYU-Idaho Communications
Sandra Gonzalez, CNN