(PHILADELPHIA) — The NFL and more than 4,500 former players and family members have reached a tentative settlement on concussion-related lawsuits for $765 million on Thursday.
The plantiffs include the family of Pro Bowl linebacker Junior Seau, who committed suicide last year, former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett, quarterback Jim McMahon, and at least 10 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
“This is a historic agreement, one that will make sure that former NFL players who need and deserve compensation will receive it, and that will promote safety for players at all levels of football,” said Judge Phillips. “Rather than litigate literally thousands of complex individual claims over many years, the parties have reached an agreement that, if approved, will provide relief and support where it is needed at a time when it is most needed. I am deeply grateful to Judge Brody for appointing me as mediator and offering me the opportunity to work on such an important and interesting matter.”
Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia announced the proposed settlement Thursday after months of court-ordered mediation. She still must approve it at a later date.
“This is an extraordinary agreement that will provide immediate care and support to retired players and their families,” said lead plaintiffs’ attorney Christopher Seeger of Seeger Weiss LLP. “This agreement will get help quickly to the men who suffered neurological injuries. It will do so faster and at far less cost, both financially and emotionally, than could have ever been accomplished by continuing to litigate.”
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio