(WASHINGTON) — Congress is in recess for a few more weeks, and members have been staying busy on their vacations. Through scorpion bites, wine-making contests, and a couple of butter cow visits, take a look at what some politicians have been doing on their summer breaks.
1. Sen. Jeff Flake Was Bit By Scorpion
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) fell victim to the “perils of living in the desert” when he got bit by a scorpion.
2. Chuck Schumer Attended a Wine Contest
Sen. Chuck Schumer (D – N.Y.) checked out a ‘make your own wine’ festival at the Wyoming County Fair in upstate New York.
3. Mike Quigley Visited a Farmer’s Market
Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) visited the Lincoln Park Farmer’s Market in Chicago.
4. Chuck Grassley at the Iowa State Fair
Sen. Chuck Grassley (R- Iowa) marveled at the biggest pig at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines.
5. Darrell Issa Ate With Native American Tribe
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) ate a Native American tortilla with the Sycuan Indian Tribe in California.
6. Billy Long Visited Butter Cow in Missouri
Rep. Billy Long (R-Mo.) tweeted that there was “no way to get a good or full picture of the Butter Cow” at the Gerken Dairy Center at the Missouri State Fair.
7. Tom Harkin Visits Iowa State Fair
According to Sen .Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) the summer’s not complete without a visit to the Iowa State Fair, where the famous Iowa butter cow drew crowds of spectators.
8. Todd Young Visited Actual Cows
Rep. Todd Young (R-Ind.) learned about longhorn cows at the Hudson Longhorns breeding grounds in Croydon, Ind.
9. Adam Kinzinger Drank a Smoothie
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) enjoyed a green smoothie in Rockford, Ill. “I feel healthier just looking at it,” he tweeted.
10. Kelly Ayotte Stocked Up On Syrup
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) stopped by McFadden’s General Store in the White Mountains to stock up on New Hampshire Maple Syrup.
11. Joe Manchin Lost a Carnival Game
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) was snapped by RollCall.com as he lost a water-shooting game at the West Virginia State Fair in Lewisburg. “I was snookered,” he reportedly said.
12. Bruce Braley Observed a Watermelon Field
Rep. Bruce Braley (D-Iowa) observed a watermelon field in the city of Ashquelon in Israel. (No word on whether he sampled the fruit.)
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio