Your weather
clear sky
humidity: 84%
wind: 7mph N
H 2 • L -1

Man taken in custody following six hour standoff

Idaho Falls

Share This

UPDATE 4:20 p.m.

The man who barricaded himself inside a home for over six hours today has been taken into custody.

Police rammed the front door around 4:15 p.m. and detonated gas inside the house. The man was peacefully arrested.


The name of the suspect has not been released.

New information will be posted when we receive it.

UPDATE 3:00 p.m.


Idaho Falls Police Chief Mark McBride tells that officers have detonated tear gas inside the home of a barricaded man.

McBride says the man has a violent past and is wanted on a warrant.

Police called him this morning to tell him they were coming to serve the warrant and McBride says he started making threats.

Officers have been communicating with the man for hours and his cell phone died. Police purchased him a new battery so communication could continue, according to McBride.

The man has left the home holding a shotgun and gone outside a few times over the course of the six hour stand-off.

Police continue to speak with him and hope there will be a peaceful resolution soon.

Stay with for updates.


IDAHO FALLS — Idaho Falls Police and Bonneville County Sheriff’s deputies have blocked off several roads near the 500 block of 10th Street for an emergency situation involving a man who has barricaded himself inside a home.

Law enforcement arrived on scene at about 9 a.m. Saturday.

Idaho Falls spokeswoman Kerry Hammon confirmed the barricaded man did discharge a firearm, but no one was injured. Officers are currently negotiating with the man.

Dozens of officers are on scene — many with rifles.

Several readers living in the vicinity reported receiving an emergency notification call to stay in their homes.

Neighbors are being told to shelter in place, and others are being told to avoid the area. has requested more details about the incident and we’ll update as we find out more.

Police block streets in Idaho Falls