Gas leak in Idaho Falls forces road closures and evacuations
Published at | Updated at
IDAHO FALLS– Officials are investigating a gas leak at 1509 Chaffin Lane that was reported around 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Kerry Hammon, a spokeswoman with the Idaho Falls Fire Department, tells EastIdahoNews.com the gas was shut off around 11:54 a.m. and first responders cleared the scene.
Hammon says the leak appears to have happened after a contractor digging in the area hit a gas line. She says nearby businesses were evacuated after a heavy gas smell was reported outside.
Lincoln Road to Sherry Drive and Chaffin Lane were all closed for about 30 minutes until crews were able to turn the gas off.
The Idaho Falls Fire Department, Idaho Falls Police Department, Idaho Falls Power and Intermountain Gas all responded to the scene.