MENAN — Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion after fighting a large home fire for most of Tuesday evening.
The Central Fire Department says the home on the South Menan Butte, at 9138 Outlaw Pass, is a complete loss, with damages estimated between $800,000 and $900,000.
The incident was initially reported as a kitchen fire around 7:30 p.m. The Menan, Lewisville and Rigby stations responded to the fire. The Madison Fire Department also responded to the blaze with a tender truck, several engines and multiple fire fighters.
When emergency responders reached the house, they discovered a single-family home engulfed in flames. The fire had vented and broken through the roof before firefighters arrived.
All occupants were able to leave the home before crews arrived. They were not hurt in the fire.
Crews from Madison and Central Fire worked together to extinguish the fire. A portable drop tank was used and both departments shuttled water to the tank to keep the firefighting efforts going.
Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to an adjacent structure on the property.
They have not yet determined the cause of the fire. A Madison County Sheriff’s detective was on scene late Tuesday evening.
Ian Fennell, Idaho State Journal
Natalia Hepworth, EastIdahoNews.com
Stephan Rockefeller, EastIdahoNews.com