Forbes names VanderSloot one of the richest 400 people in America
IDAHO FALLS – Forbes released its annual list of the 400 richest people in America Tuesday, and one Idahoan made the cut: Melaleuca CEO Frank L. VanderSloot.
VanderSloot, 69, is ranked #302 on the list with an estimated net worth of $2.7 billion. The Idaho Falls-based businessman started Melaleuca in 1985 and the company hit a record $1.75 billion in sales last year. Nearly 2,000 people in east Idaho are employed by Melaleuca.
This is the 36th year Forbes has published their “Richest 400” list. When looking for candidates this year, the magazine said it started with a list of 600 people. Reporters then interviewed employees, handlers, rivals, peers and attorneys to come up with the finalists.
The top 10 richest Americans included:
- Bill Gates — $88.7 B — (Microsoft)
- Jeff Bezos — $88.5 B — (Amazon.com)
- Warren Buffett — $80.2 B — (Berkshire Hathaway)
- Mark Zuckerberg — $72.8 B — (Facebook)
- Larry Ellison — $59.9 B — (software)
- Charles Koch — $48.5 B — (diversified)
- David Koch — $48.5 B — (diversified)
- Michael Bloomberg — $47.7 B — (Bloomberg LP)
- Larry Page — $47.1 B — (Google)
- Sergey Brin — $45.9 B — (Google)
President Donald Trump was ranked #248 on the list with an estimated net worth of $3.1 billion.
“I’m proud of the men and women who have joined me over the years,” VanderSloot said during an interview with EastIdahoNews.com. “I didn’t build this. A lot of people pitched in – thousands of people. This is a credit to them.”