West Jefferson School District and two local charter schools close due to illness
Published at | Updated at
TERRETON — A large number of sick students and staff have forced yet another group of local schools to close.
West Jefferson School District 253 will close on Thursday and Friday, and resume on Monday.
Superintendent Dwight Richins says about 20 percent of students have been absent, but the real problem is sick teachers. He says there is just not enough substitutes to cover the teachers not in the classrooms.
Additionally, the Idaho Science and Technology Charter School in Blackfoot will be closed on Thursday. Chief Tahgee Elementary Academy in Fort Hall will also be closed on Thursday and Friday.
So far, eastern Idaho has seen school closures in Bonneville, Madison, Fremont, Bingham, Jefferson and Teton counties. The following school districts still have closures this week:
- Blackfoot School District 55 is closed Thursday and Friday.
- Teton School District 401 is closed Thursday and Friday.
- Snake River School District 52 is closed Thursday.
- Ririe School District 252 is closed Thursday
- Firth School District 59 is closed Thursday.