Getting to Know Jeff Newgard at Bank of Idaho
EastIdahoNews.com is highlighting hardworking people who make our local businesses a success. Every Sunday, we’re Getting to Know YOU!
1. Name and Job Title: Jeff Newgard, President & CEO of Bank of Idaho
2. What do you do in your position? I set the strategic direction and lead the bank in all aspects. I represent the bank in the community.
3. Where were you born and when is your birthday? Polson, Montana on September 26
4. How long have you lived in eastern Idaho and what city do you live in now? Five years in Idaho Falls
5. Tell us about your first job after high school or college. My first job after graduate school I worked for Banner Bank as a financial analyst analyzing asset-liability management and interest rate risk.
6. What is the best business decision you’ve ever made? Marrying my wife! Haha no, I think it was to invest in myself and invest in the banks that I run and developing a high performing team.
7. Tell us about your family. I have a gorgeous wife of 11 years & 4 beautiful kids – ages 10,8,3 and 1.
8. Tell us about a movie or book that has inspired you the most in life. All books by Jack Welch have inspired me and many others. It’s hard to pick just one.
9. Tell us about a lesson you learned from a mistake you made in your career. One of the biggest mistakes is hiring people that weren’t necessarily a good fit for the organization and what I’ve learned from that is cultural fit with the organization is as much if not more important as the skill set.
10. What is the goal you hope to accomplish in the next 12 months? One of my goals in the next 12 months is to obtain another cybersecurity certification specific to financial services.
11. What is one piece of advice you have for someone who wants to do what you’re doing? Get ready to pay your dues, don’t give up or get discouraged and learn as much as you can through the journey.
12. If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? I wouldn’t do anything different because the lessons learned in life, good and bad, have brought me to this point of happiness and achievement.
13. Where is your favorite place to eat in eastern Idaho? At home with my family.
14. Tell us something surprising about yourself. I have a theology degree and spent time as an assistant Chaplin in a hospital.
15. How do you like your potatoes? I like my potatoes made into lefse which is a Norwegian delicacy.
If you have an employee or co-worker who we should get to know, email email@example.com.