UPDATE: Students going home after gas leak at Skyline High School
Published at | Updated at
UPDATE 2:30 p.m. Thursday
Skyline High School Principal Josh Newell issued the following statement:
As you know, we had an apparent gas leak at Skyline High School this morning, and I wanted to follow up with some additional information about the incident.
This morning teachers in the 200 Hall noticed the smell of gas. We immediately called our maintenance crew and they detected higher than normal carbon monoxide levels. The CO levels were never life-threatening, but in parts of the school they were high enough to cause concern that students or staff may get sick. We quickly evacuated students and staff to the gymnasium, and then to Eagle Rock Middle School. In the end, we decided to cancel school for the day.
After extensive investigation, our maintenance crew determined the issue was related to a broken vent in the heating system exhaust, which caused it to bring CO back into the building. Our crews are in the process of repairing the system. They will have Intermountain Gas check the system and make sure the issue is resolved before we reopen Skyline for classes tomorrow. Increased CO levels were never detected in the gymnasium so we are planning to hold tonight’s basketball game as scheduled.
As you know, we regularly hold emergency drills to prepare for situations like this. I want to commend students and staff for following our protocols and procedures, and also to thank the Idaho Falls Fire Department and the Idaho Falls Police Department for their support. I also want to thank our parents for their support and patience during the emergency.
UPDATE 11:30 a.m. Thursday
Students at Skyline High School are going home after a gas leak evacuated the school Thursday morning.
Idaho Falls Fire Department spokeswoman Kerry Hammon explains Idaho Falls School District 91 officials determined to send the students home for the day. Firefighters have isolated the source of the leak, vented the school, monitored the air qualify and deemed safe for students to go inside and get their items.
The district will allow students to go in their own vehicles or provide bus service to return home.
Hammon says there were no injuries and no students showed signs of illness due to the leak.
The district expects to release more information Thursday.
IDAHO FALLS — Students at Skyline High School in Idaho Falls have been evacuated to nearby Eagle Rock Middle School due to an apparent gas leak.
The leak was discovered at the high school around 9:45 a.m. Thursday. Idaho Falls School District 91 spokeswoman Margaret Wimborne says the evacuation was ordered as a precaution.
No injuries have been reported, and no students are showing any signs of illness, Idaho Falls Fire Department spokeswoman Kerry Hammon said.
The cause or location of the leak has yet to be discovered, but emergency crews are attempting to locate it and vent the building.
People are asked to avoid the area as the investigation continues.
Wimborne says the district is working closely with city officials and will provide more updates as details become available.