HBO Cancels ‘Luck’ Following Third Horse Death
(NEW YORK) -- HBO's Luck has run out. The cable network announced Wednesday it has cancelled the freshman horse racing drama after it recently experienced its third horse fatality during production.
HBO said in a statement, "While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won’t in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision."
Executive producers Michael Mann and David Milch said, “The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers. This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future.”
It was reported earlier this week that a third horse was euthanized after suffering a head injury when the crew tried to remove it from a stable.
Earlier this year, following the deaths of two horses that raised concerns from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the American Humane Association, HBO implemented new safety guidelines for Luck.
Luck, which premiered in late January, starred Dustin Hoffman and told the stories of owners, jockeys and gamblers involved in horse racing.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio