First COVID-19 related death reported in Bonneville County
Published at | Updated at
The following is a news release from Eastern Idaho Public Health.
IDAHO FALLS — Eastern Idaho Public Health (EIPH) has confirmed the first death associated with COVID-19 in a resident of Bonneville County. The woman was in her 80s and had underlying health conditions. She had been hospitalized since June 4 when EIPH reported her positive test result. Out of respect to her family, no additional details will be released.
“We at EIPH share our deepest condolences with the patient’s family and friends for their loss — and a loss felt by our entire community,” stated Geri Rackow, EIPH Director. “Now more than ever, we each need to do our part to take precautionary measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our communities.”
We are also reporting two additional cases of COVID-19 today. The details are listed below:
- Female | Bonneville County | 30s | Community Transmission | Not Hospitalized
- Female | Bonneville County | 60s | Community Transmission | Hospitalized
As restrictions have been loosened and the State is re-opening, an increase in COVID-19 cases have been documented throughout Eastern Idaho and we anticipate we will continue to see more cases in our health district for some time. Practicing risk reduction strategies are vital to reducing the spread of COVID-19 and include:
- Staying home if sick and limiting close contact with people who are sick.
- Practicing self-distancing (maintaining at least 6 feet between individuals).
- Wearing a fabric face covering or mask when in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.
- Covering your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or our sleeve.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer.
Details on all our confirmed and probable cases can be found on our new data dashboard located on our website. EIPH has a call center to answer questions regarding COVID-19. Call 208-522-0310 or toll free at 855-533-3160 to speak with someone.
The call center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In addition, questions can be submitted via email to COVIDQuestions@eiph.idaho.gov or asked through our Facebook page at @EIPH.Idaho.