Getting to Know Amy Martin of Pick Me Up
EastIdahoNews.com is highlighting hardworking people who make our local businesses a success. Every Sunday, we’re Getting to Know YOU!
1. Name and Job Title: Amy Martin, Owner of Pick Me Up
2. What do you do in your position? I oversee the culture of our company as well as the marketing, growth and consistency in our customer experience. A little bit of everything!
3. Where were you born and when is your birthday? Salt Lake City, December 14.
4. How long have you lived in eastern Idaho and what city do you live in now? I grew up in good old Firth, Idaho! I left after graduating but came back with my husband in 2016. We currently live in Ammon.
5. Tell us about your first job after high school or college. Waitressing! I believe everyone should have to work in the hospitality industry at some point. It provides excellent communication and customer service skills!
6. What is the best business decision you’ve ever made? Bringing on individuals that have different skill sets than my own. It’s okay to not know everything but to know when you need help!
7. Tell us about your family. My husband Zac and I got married in 2010. We have 4 awesome kids (8, 5, and 2-year-old twins!) and a cute Boxer dog. We love traveling, hosting BBQs & getting beat by the 5-year-old at Uno.
8. Tell us about a movie or book that has inspired you the most in life. ‘The Go Giver’ by Bob Burg and John David Mann. The concept of being a “Go Giver” instead of a “Go Getter” has served me well in both business and my personal life.
9. Tell us about a lesson you learned from a mistake you made in your career. My husband Zac and I are both very bold people but we’ve learned to test things before implementing them (bullets before cannonballs!).
10. What is the goal you hope to accomplish in the next 12 months? Up, up, and away! We’re going to keep growing while maintaining our incredible culture and customer experience.
11. What is one piece of advice you have for someone who wants to do what you’re doing? To be a successful entrepreneur you have to keep moving! Setbacks happen and you can sometimes feel stagnant but you have to be willing to dig in and work hard constantly.
12. If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently? I would set more boundaries in terms of work/family time. As a small business owner, it’s easy to feel like I have to be glued to my phone all the time to respond to every message/email/text immediately but in general, it’s okay to wait until you’re back in work mode.
13. Where is your favorite place to eat in eastern Idaho? There are too many to choose from! Costa Vida, Rupes, Geraldines and Cast Iron on 17th are some of my favorites.
14. Tell us something surprising about yourself. I read a LOT! I average 2-3 books a month!
15. How do you like your potatoes? Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew! I’m an Idaho girl through & through!
If you have an employee or co-worker who we should get to know, email firstname.lastname@example.org.