Good Samaritan alerts homeowners in Rigby house fire - East Idaho News

Good Samaritan alerts homeowners in Rigby house fire

  Published at  | Updated at

RIGBY — No one was injured in a structure fire in Rigby Sunday afternoon, according to a news release from Chief Carl Anderson.

Central Fire District’s Menan, Lewisville and Rigby stations were called to a house fire at about 1:30 p.m.

“It was reported that there were flames showing from the home and the homeowners were out of the house,” Anderson said.

A person passing by the home called to report the blaze, Anderson explained. They also alerted the homeowners that the house was on fire.

The home, located in the area of 500 North and 3600 East, reportedly had flames coming from the power service between the two garages. The power to the home was still live, and firefighters were faced with sparks and “an abundance of electrical flash.”

Rigby blaze
Courtesy of Central Fire District

The roof of the house was also in flames, and there were multiple small explosions from inside the garage.

“Firefighters had to be very careful with the direction of water extinguishment and placement of personnel,” Anderson noted.

Once a technician from Rocky Mountain Power arrived and disconnected the power, crews were able to attack the blaze better, according to the news release.

“The fire was contained to the garages and throughout the roof structures,” Anderson said. He noted that closed doors kept the flames from spreading into the main living area of the home.

After the fire was extinguished and the home was secured, the homeowners were allowed back in the house.

Authorities suspect the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. They report the damage to the home is about $250,000.

According to the news release, Central Fire District was assisted by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, Rocky Mountain Power and LP Propane personnel.

“A special note of thanks to the person/persons (who) stopped and alerted the homeowners,” Anderson said.