Boy and woman who survived deadly crash on the road to recovery

Idaho Falls

Share This
Nickolas Kirby | GoFundMe

IDAHO FALLS — A teenage boy and a woman who survived a crash that left two others dead are making progress in their recovery.

Nickolas Kirby, 15, is preparing to be transferred to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City for rehabilitation.

He remains in serious condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman. He was in critical condition for more than two weeks and was upgraded to serious condition two weeks ago.

Brittney Jamesen, 31, the only adult involved in the crash, also has had her condition upgraded to serious. She was listed in critical condition for several weeks.

Nickolas was in a vehicle with Ivy Vigliotti and Asher Strubel, both 15, when they collided with another vehicle at the intersection of 45th West and 17th South. Ivy and Asher both died. Nickolas and Jamesen were both taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Nickolas remains in the pediatric intensive care unit but has made progress. According to a GoFundMe page established by his family, he has been gaining strength and responding to more commands. Thus far he has been able to give family members a hug, played thumb wars with his dad and uncle, and on Tuesday morning he gave his dad a fist bump.

His family says he’ll soon be transferred to in Salt Lake City to start physical rehabilitation.

“We are seeing miracles every day!” the GoFundMe reads. “He gave both his Dad and I a hug today. Nick has been gaining so much strength, responding so much more! … We are beyond excited at his recent progress. We are so thankful for all of the prayers in his behalf. We believe in miracles! We are preparing to be transferred to Primary Children’s soon for rehabilitation. We are excited to see him work hard and keep progressing.”

Jamesen’s family says she has made some progress as well.

Joseph and Brittney Jamesen. | Family photo

“She is now stable enough to undergo procedures to start repairing some of her injuries from the crash,” a family member posted on the Brittney’s Journey Facebook page. “She had surgery that went very well, her doctors are pleased with how she handled it, as well as the finished result. They are succeeding in lowering her sedation level, but she’s not really awake yet.”






Respond to this story

If you choose local pickup, please get your gift certificate at our office at 400 W. Sunnyside in Idaho Falls Dismiss