I see dark spots randomly appearing on my face. How can I get them to go away? - East Idaho News

I see dark spots randomly appearing on my face. How can I get them to go away?

  Published at

Have a medical-related question you’ve always wanted answered? The doctors at Madison Health are here to help! Email your ‘Ask the Doctor’ questions to news@eastidahonews.com and they might end up in our weekly column.

QUESTION: As I get older, I see dark spots randomly appearing on my face and nothing I have done will make them go away. Do you have any words to make me feel beautiful and normal again by getting them to go away?

ANSWER: It’s common for adults over 50 to get age spots, which are small dark areas on the skin, particularly on the face, hands, arms and shoulders. These spots are the result of long-term exposure to the sun. They’re your skin’s way of protecting itself from further damage from solar rays.

There are treatments for age spots, and using sunscreen when you go outside can help prevent them from getting worse. It’s possible that the spots which you say are now appearing on your own face are age spots, but this is NOT a diagnosis on our part, nor is it a proposed treatment. As with any healthcare-related issue like this one, your best course of action is to schedule a visit with your primary care provider and have him or her take a firsthand look at the spots, so you can get a professional opinion about what’s going on and what to do about it.

If you don’t currently have a provider, please call Madisonhealth at (208) 359-6900.

This column does not establish a provider/patient relationship and is for general informational purposes only. This column is not a substitute for consulting with a physician or other health care provider.