Isaac Reinwand: I had nothing to do with DeOrr’s disappearance

DeOrr Kunz Jr.

IDAHO FALLS — Isaac Reinwand, the friend camping with DeOrr Kunz Jr. and his family the day the then two-year-old boy disappeared is speaking out for the first time.

Reinwand has been called a “person of interest” in the case and hasn’t spoken publicly about what happened the day DeOrr vanished during a camping trip in Leadore.

Reinwand agreed to an interview the day Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman announced DeOrr’s parents, Jessica Mitchell and DeOrr Kunz Sr., are now considered suspects in the case.

He sat down with reporter Nate Eaton and producer Stephan Rockefeller for this exclusive interview.

Watch the entire unedited conversation in the video player above.

NATE EATON, Reporter: What have the last six-seven months been like for you?

ISAAC REINWAND: Really boring. Kind of quiet. Not a whole lot to do in Idaho Falls.

EATON: What have your thoughts been over the past today and yesterday when the sheriff released the new information?

REINWAND: At first, I was kind of sketchy about talking to anybody, but then the way social media has been I thought if I talk to the police and everything maybe everything will cool down a little bit (and) maybe they’ll get closer to solving this case.

EATON: Were you surprised the parents were named as suspects?

REINWAND: Yeah actually I kind of was a little bit.

EATON: Why is that?

REINWAND: Because of all the theories and everything that’s been going around it doesn’t feel like or seem like anybody knows what going on.

EATON: A lot of people thought that you were involved.

REINWAND: Yeah that I am aware of.

EATON: What would you say to those people that think you somehow had something to do with his disappearance?

REINWAND: A lot of people they don’t know me. The unknown is scary so what they don’t know, people are afraid of. I would just say because a person looks someway you shouldn’t judge them just because of how they look.

EATON: What do you remember what happened up there?

REINWAND: I don’t want to comment on that.

EATON: Do you remember the last time you saw little DeOrr?

REINWAND: No comment.

EATON: But he was up there?

REINWAND: Yes, he was.

EATON: He was up there, you saw him, you know he was there.

EATON: After he went missing what was it like up there? I’m sure all the search and rescue crews showed up to look for him and then the volunteers showed up. Did you think he’d be found quickly and you’d be able to head on home?

REINWAND: That’s what I figured, that he’d be found.

EATON: When he wasn’t and days turned into weeks, into months what went through your mind?

REINWAND: I thought maybe he was abducted . I didn’t really know what to think.

EATON: But you had nothing to do with it?

REINWAND: Exactly.

EATON: Do you know anything about Robert Walton, the grandfather?

REINWAND: All I can say about Robert Walton is he’s always been a good friend to me. We’ve gone fishing on many occasions and camping.

EATON: You guys met before all this took place?

REINWAND: That’s correct.

EATON: Are you still friends today?

REINWAND: I haven’t heard from Walton all winter long.

EATON: Have you heard how his health is doing?

REINWAND: I heard he’s on oxygen.

EATON: How has this experience changed your life? Has it?

REINWAND: A little. I try to be a little more skeptical about what’s going on around me in the public. =People can change in the blink of an eye and you don’t even realize before it’s too late.

EATON: Did you lose any friends over this?

REINWAND: I’m sure I have, but right at this point I’m not sure who. That’s something I’m gonna have to figure out down the road.

EATON: Do you have any idea where Deorr could be?

REINWAND: I do not.

EATON: I guess you’re hoping he’s found?

EATON: A lot of people have these theories that you had something to do with it, that you’re the man behind this.

REINWAND: I generally try to be nice to everybody. Try to be a good guy and help people out as much as I possibly can. If somebody’s in a bind and they need a place to stay for a day or for a couple of days I try helping people out with that too. I fix bicycles on the side and I give them away. I generally try to be a good person to everybody.

EATON: We’re hearing from you for the first time. Is there a reason you wanted to be quiet?

REINWAND:It was mostly just because of how the social media was reacting and my attorney said it might be better not to say anything until they know exactly what’s going on with the case.

EATON: Any idea where it goes from here?

REINWAND: I’m gathering they will be able to solve this case within the next week or the next month and we can all put this behind us and move on.

EATON: Are Jessica (Mitchell) and DeOrr (Kunz Sr.) your friends? Did you know them before all this?

REINWAND: No I did not.

EATON: So you really only spent a couple of hours with them once you got up there?

REINWAND: More like a couple of days.

STEPHAN ROCKEFELLER, Producer: Where were you when you first heard someone was missing? What were you doing and what was going through your mind?

EATON: Were you fishing? Were you downstream when you heard?

REINWAND: I’m not supposed to disclose any information. I’ve been asked not to.

EATON: I guess that will all come out in court?

EATON: How has it been knowing in your mind what you know, what police have told you, and not being able to tell anyone. Have you kind of been saying why is everyone picking on me?

REINWAND: I felt that way, and I thought it’s just because the way the media sees it and everything it looks like I haven’t been cooperating with the police and they don’t know what’s going on.

EATON: But that’s not true, you’re saying?

EATON: If Deorr and Jessica were arrested today, what would you say?

REINWAND: I’d say I’d really be surprised because I wouldn’t think somebody like those two would do something like that.

EATON: So all along you thought they didn’t really have anything to do with it either?

REINWAND: Right. I thought maybe he got abducted or a wolf or somebody might have drug him off. That’s what my opinion is.

ROCKEFELLER Did they ask you to have a story? Like did DeOrr and Jessica coach you?

REINWAND: No they did not.

EATON: So they just came back and said he’s missing, search and rescue shows up and you’re doing your thing?

REINWAND: No response.

EATON: Did we miss anything? Anything you want to say?

REINWAND: No there’s nothing else that I would like to say. I’m good.

• Alex says:

He looks really nervous. Moving his hands together usually that’s a sign of possibly lying. again keyword be possible. I know I would be extremely nervous also.

• Jenesa Johnson says:

Body language is a big factor. I fidget constantly though. If I was in his shoes I would be charged just because my body language would be so spastic. I also know if I was lying, I sure wouldn’t voluntarily broadcast myself to the news crew.

• slnhn says:

He looks nervous and doesn’t know what to say only because he is unintelligent and you can tell this is the most attention he has received in years.

• Jenesa Johnson says:

I’ve been interrogated before, as a victim and a suspect, and being nervous in this type of situation is pretty normal, even when you’re innocent. I would be nervous if everyone was pointing the finger at me, even if I wasn’t guilty. Those anxious thoughts of what if I’m charged for this even though I didn’t do it? This man is probably intimidated by authorities and this whole scenario. I’m not saying he did or didn’t have anything to do with it. I wonder why he’s being told not to answer the most important questions of this case though. I question why there is still so much information being withheld from the public by all parties involved. They’ve released the parents are suspects and if there is a huge change they take off and run. They wouldn’t get far. None of this makes sense to me one bit.

• me says:

I personally know Isaac and that’s his normal behavior he is not all there upstairs.
    He does have a temper but he’s also very timid, I don’t believe he would hurt a child with malicious intent.

• Court says:

Do you think he is helping hide things though? I personally believe this has to do with the mother and the father/grandfather/ Isaac got caught up in a lie

• tiger grizzly man says:

I agree,he doesn’t look like a guy who would fool,police,FBI,etc.he wouldn’t have done this pointless interview if he was guilty of anything. Why don’t. You guy get an interview with the mom and dad???

• purpleandteal says:

Not buying what he’s selling. Also, the reporter did a good job of “leading the witness.”

• Me says:

Wasn’t there a check in office at the campground? Usually in national parks there is a check in office. What about a video camera at the check in office. What about at walmart. Check the raging snake river behind camp. All 7 of these people are lying. I heard deorr kuns sr. Wasn’t even at the campground

• Sensible says:

This was anti-climatic. Nothing really new was said.
    A few points taken, he thinks it will be resolved in a week or month, probably means police have communicated with him and his lawyer that they are really close to solving.
    Additionally when asked if it will come out in court he said exactly, which means he is 100% expecting a court case.
    And when asked about the last time he saw the child, his facial expression almost looked tearful, his hands and feet stayed in constant motion most of the interview and did not seem to change at any point in the interview, that being said there were no indicators that he was untruthful.

• Chris Peak says:

Seems to be pretty coached. Im glad you guys got him in.

• slnhn says:

Not coached at all. It has been show in Psychology that someone with a very low IQ can be coerced easily into admitting to something they didn’t do. If you interrogated this man and drilled him for hours he would eventually confess. He doesn’t have the aptitude to defend himself against attacks.

But he didn’t do it. I think his lawyer told him to just keep quiet because this man isn’t smart enough to explain things or defend himself. Just keep your mouth shut and you’ll be fine is probably the best advice he could be given.

• Chanel says:

Thanks for doing this interview, and for doing it so well.

• patriot6280 says:

What you were doing and what went on “will all come out in court?” His answer: “Exactly” No charges have been filed. I didn’t realize he knew there was going something relevant to him in the courtroom. Great question and apparently great unintentional reveal.

• Amber says:

This guy definitely knows enough to agree its going to court and when asked if he would be surprised if Jessica and deorr sr. Would be arrested he said yes because he doesn’t like think people could do something like that…something like what?? To me says he knows …also stating he thou gh t they would find him quickly makes me wonder if he knew where he is and is surprised they didnt find him…almost like he expected it to be open and shut. I think the reason the police can now say the parents are suspects is because there is hard evidence but they can’t go there yet they are trying to get some kind of confession first.

• missbnana says:

This poor man. He clearly has an IQ well under 100 and who knows what else is wrong with him. He appears easily confused and childlike himself. The parents he didn’t even know knew they could lay blame with him and the Grandfather with dementia. The Sheriff stated that both his and the Grandfather’s polygraph examinations were inconclusive AND that they expected them to be “because of their mental states” – and we are supposed to believe that any parents would leave their toddler out of their sight with those two men for any amount of time (first it was 10 minutes then it was 20 minutes)? I think we’re all looking forward to the day Jessica Mitchell tells investigators what really happened.

• slnhn says:

I don’t know Isaac but I believe he is sincere. This video just shows how nervous someone can get when they are under the spotlight. Doesn’t mean suspicious.